* * * * *
UNRESPONSIVE LVAD PATIENT:
- Call LVAD Coordinator immediately for guidance
- Begin assessing patient by the following algorithm
IS THE PT BREATHING?
YES: Assess for perfusion, and consider non-LVAD causes
NO: Support ventilations; EKG; defib pads anterior/posterior; IV; check LVAD
IS THE LVAD FUNCTIONING?
Check controller; auscultate for LVAD hum
YES: Check ETCO2
NO: Check the following:
- Power connected?
- Driveline connected?
- Controller working?
- If off for >5 min or unknown time, consult LVAD Coordinator before restarting
- If restarted, check for breathing and signs of ROSC
IS THE ETCO2 <20?
- Is not breathing, AND
- LVAD is not functioning, AND
- ETCO2 is <20
BEGIN CHEST COMPRESSIONS – DO NOT USE A MECHANICAL CPR DEVICE!!
To schedule an LVAD training class for your department, contact Mark Johnston, EMS Coordinator through the link on this app or at 513.263.1420